Friday, May 29, 2009

Goodbye Hello



Kobe Bryant has left the building. Okay, maybe not Kobe himself, but the bobble head that has adorned the shelf in my office for longer than I can recall is now in a box on my dining room table.

I packed my car full of 5 years worth of media tchotchkes, which was no small feat let me tell you: Cooking Light stationary, an Entertainment Weekly beach mat, NPR coffe mug, City Business Journals desk basketball hoop, and the crowning jewel... the special edition Rockband for Xbox courtesy of a Popular Mechanics raffle. 4 boxes of junk and many goodbyes later, I exited the building with a twinge of nostalgia and a whole lot of garage sale fodder.

I will soon be trading in my corporate souvenirs for a night's rest at a guesthouse in Kuala Lumpur, a bus ride from Chiang Mai to Pai, a guided tour of the temples of Angkor Wat. I'm exchanging the objects of my past for the adventures ahead. There's definitely something freeing in the whole thing, but I must admit that there's a piece of me that will miss some of the indulgent perks of this crazy business.

So long Houston's and your smoked salmon appetizer, how do you do PB&J. See you later spa treatments, nice to meet you nail clippers. We had a good time Joe's jeans, but I'm getting back together with Levi's.

Goodbye 2001 Embarcadero. Hello world.

2 comments:

  1. As the first member of the Molen clan to join the funemployment line, with a solid 8 days under my belt, I can attest to one of its most unforeseen benefits -- that being the luxury of time to actually floss each morning with a thoroughness that will make my dental hygienist proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day three and already spreading so much wisdom...

    ReplyDelete