Saturday, September 26, 2009

Kuala Lumpur, In a Nutshell

I've been wrestling with what it is precisely that I like most about Kuala Lumpur and there isn't a neat and tidy answer. It is not the cleanest city. The streets form no particular pattern and it's easy to get lost. It's hot. I mean the kind of wet, humid heat that makes you start sweating at 8:00 in the morning and not stop until you take a cold shower at night.

But there's something that makes me incredibly happy here. I find myself walking down a street, soaked from the humidity and all of a sudden a blast of cool air-conditioned wind flies out of a storefront. Or I think I'm on the brink of passing out, and I find a street vendor selling ice-cold coconut juice for 29-cents. Or the way traffic rushes by, but the people on the street can't be bothered to walk faster than a snail's pace.

Like Singapore, it's a place where East meets West. Muslim mosques are perched beneath corporate high rises. Chinatown is home to Burger King and McDonald's. Veiled women shop for Gucci and Prada.



In fact, the most notable buildings in KL are the Petronas Twin Towers, designed by an American Architect. These towers rank 9th in terms of the tallest structures in the world, but held the record as the tallest from 1998 to 2004 stretching 1,482 feet into the sky. Like the Sydney Opera House, I found myself astounded by their beauty and magnitude. Check out the photo link to see more.

I'll leave this post short and sweet as I have to wake up at an ungodly hour tomorrow to catch a flight to Kota Bharu, take a 40 minute bus, then an hour jetty to finally arrive at the paradise island of Perhentian Kecil. 5 days of snorkeling, reading, and working on my "tan" should peel the layers of dirt and sweat right off me. Oh and people, please, step up to the plate and leave a comment dammit! I'm starting to wonder who's reading this besides my wonderful, supportive, slightly worried parents. Love you mom and dad :)!

10 comments:

  1. Keep writing, girl....we're reading and getting more jealous with each post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Last time was the first time I didn't leave a comment! =)

    Looking through the photos--did you really get the fish pedicure? Was it weird to have fish eating off your dead skin?

    I can't believe everything you done and seen to date. Still very much living vicariously through you so keep the blog updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to four people last night at Joes that read your blog. Told them the same-post. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those buildings are amazing! Talk about feeling small in a world built up around you.

    I don't know much about KL but am expecting some good stories.

    Have fun resting, reading, and getting tan...

    Must be so exciting to know you have a friend on the way to visit - I only wish it were me :(

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - monkeys are fascinating. are they not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loyal reader here!!! Trip sounds fantastic. So jealous can't wait to pick your brain when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are still reading & still enjoying your amazing adventure! From the Bungy Jump to hanging with 'The Game' to Life at the Blue Parrot, you have really got a gift for writing. Can't wait to see the book you create from this trip!! Cheryl & Gene

    ReplyDelete
  8. My driving through the Cascades on a 2-lane highway in the rain from Bend to Eugene was probably about as terrifying as your bungee jumping, at least to the other drivers on the road. But whatever else you do, don't stop writing! Oh, and tell Megan that we loved Cafe Zenon in Eugene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Thanks for all the comments :).

    Deidra - I stand corrected... You have been a very loyal contributer, so you're off the hook. And yes, it was a fish pedicure. Very strange! Only cost me $1.43 for 10 minutes. I'm sure they charge at least $75 in the US for the same treatment.

    JWHA - Yes, monkeys are fascinating. But the video is actually of baboons. Go to the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only $35 dollars, but you have to go to Virginia. =)

    ReplyDelete