Thursday, October 1, 2009

Doing Nothing Well in Perhentian Kecil

From Kuala Lumpur, I took a monorail to a train to a plane to a taxi to a boat to an island called Perhentian Kecil, which is off the north east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. I knew the journey had been worthwhile when the speedboat pulled up to an island paradise covered in lush rainforest that reaches almost to the turquoise sea, barred only by a strip of soft, powdery, white sand.

There really isn’t much to this island. About a half dozen “hotels,” an equal number of dive schools, 4 bars and 3 restaurants dot the shore. The reason why I’ve used the term hotel loosely is because the accommodations are actually what Malaysians term chalets, which is a grandiose way of saying they are groupings of wooden A-frame structures that I would more aptly term “shacks.” My shack comes complete with a light bulb dangling precariously from the bathroom ceiling from which I shocked myself trying to close the bathroom door, a faint smell of mildew permeating the walls and bedding, and a requisite 5-foot long lizard who lives underneath the building (if the photo frightens you, imagine waking up to this every morning).

It’s clear the island has not quite figured out the meaning of infrastructure. Electricity on the island is powered by grumbling generators and for the most part, no electricity is available during daylight hours. Wires are loosely strung along pathways that if you’re taller than 5-feet, you have to duck to avoid. Trash is also a major problem. What isn’t burned is taken on boats to trash stations in the middle of the sea… occasionally. So there are piles and piles of trash bags that lay in waiting behind the beachfront façade until the owners scrounge together enough cash to pay a water taxi to haul it away. Let's just say a nose plug would have come in handy at times.

But none of this seemed to matter when I was laying on the beach under an umbrella and pondering absolutely nothing. Or when I was wading in 75-degree, crystal clear water watching the clouds roll slowly across the sky. Or when I was sitting at a beach front café eating spicy curry and sipping on a watermelon smoothie. Or when I was snorkeling, imagining that I, myself was actually a fish (I want to be one of the blue and pink bio-luminescent ones whose shit glows).

The questions that passed through my mind during the course of the day were very deep and philosophical. Questions like, “Is it time to reapply sunscreen?” “What do I want to eat?” “Do I want to go back in the water or lay here and read?” Tough choices were made every minute of every day.

What the island lacks in refinement it makes up for in beauty. The sun is about to go down on my last day on the island and I have to admit, I’m a little sad to leave it behind. With the jam packed days of New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur behind me, it’s been quite nice to ease into this life of leisure. And it’s not a lifestyle I plan to relinquish anytime soon if I an help it.

Next up: meeting Megan (hooray for the first, and likely, only brave soul to join me in this adventure!) and heading to the full moon party in Ko Phagnan, Thailand. No doubt island life will take on a slightly different slant with 30,000 revelers filling the beach with their glow sticks and blinking necklaces, but I’m certain it will be a memorable experience.

6 comments:

  1. Is there a name for the lizard-monster? I can't imagine waking up to that thing! Glad you have a friend on the next leg. Are you going to Bangkok? Looking forward to those updates for my Christmas trip! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds like pure bliss. Complete relaxation, going to view new photos now. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why people aren't posting comments the whole fam damly and beyond are reading this blog. When ever we get together the first thing out of everyone's mouth is have you read Miranda's blog? We all miss you and love sharing your experience through your communications.

    Be Safe... We love you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you made it there. Had I stayed in Malaysia longer I would have gone there and langkawi...which I believe to be much better than Thailand beaches...
    be careful at the full moon party! Avoid at all cost the lady boys on the beach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craving an update now that Megan's gone and the late-night parties have died down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across a tiny 1"x3" card with your name on it. I am glad I wrote something at the back of the card 'met in KL'. Yes, now I remember, it is that American girl who happens to be from San Francisco and lived just a few block away from my daughter, who I gave a ride to her hotel. So, I decided to check out your blog to find out how you did in Malaysia. Seemed you had fun and above all learn a little of our way of life, much of which I have left it behind too. 35 years to be exact.
    Good luck in your new posting Miranda
    semarahassan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete