Friday, October 16, 2009

Alone Again in Ayuttaya

Apologies for the dead air space. But as you may know, I spent the last 2 weeks with my dear friend Megan. It’s certainly difficult to find the time to blog when you have a travel companion. So, if you have been checking for updates recently, you can blame Megan for your disappointment.

Having travelled for 2 months on my own, then having travelled for 2 weeks with a friend has drawn a strong contrast for me. I get asked the question all the time, “Do you like travelling alone?” The answer is, “Yes and no.” There are things I love about travelling solo: the freedom to go where I want when I want, the ease of choosing a restaurant, the people I meet… because I have to. But there are times when it all just feels difficult: I can’t go to the bathroom at the airport without bringing all of my belongings with me, I inevitably miss a spot on my back when applying my own sunscreen, there is no one to consult the map with when I’m lost, and mostly… there is no one to share the experiences with.

I said goodbye to Megan on the streets of Bangkok and I was instantly struck with homesickness for the first time this trip. Knowing I would need to get back into the swing of making every decision, peeing with my backpack on and getting odd shaped sunburns suddenly felt overwhelmingly challenging. In the taxi to the train station I got a little teary-eyed. Having the comfort of a friend, then feeling abruptly alone in this big world made me wonder if I was ready to pack my bags and catch the next flight home.

But then something happened. Sitting on the train from Bangkok to Ayuttaya, I watched the city fade away to beautiful grasslands and rice fields and realized that this is what I signed up for. The struggle. I wanted to challenge myself in different ways. Hence bungy, hence ice hiking, hence getting on a train and facing the unknown alone.

When I arrived in Ayuttaya, I checked into a beautiful guesthouse and met a lovely English woman with whom I had dinner, and all of a sudden, I wasn’t alone anymore. We had a couple Singhas in the garden of the guesthouse and laughed like old friends about the lady boys, ping pong shows and other sexual transgressions of the Thai. I went to bed ready to conquer the next chapter of this adventure with total affirmation that I am not done yet. Northern Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam await.

I can’t possibly fill you in on everything I’ve experienced so far in Thailand. But I will say that camping on “the beach” (where the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed), swimming in a hidden bay of warm turquoise water and playing cards into the wee hours with new friends on Ko Phi Phi Leh was one of the best nights I’ve had this trip. Listening to chilled out house music, perched atop the Mellow Mountain Bar and watching the fire jump ropers below at the Full Moon Party in Ko Phag-nan, was an experience burned as deeply in my memory as the scars on the people who missed the right moment to jump over the flaming rope. Eating crispy spring rolls while watching the sun quietly set behind majestic cliffs, eating a Thai pancake smothered in Nutella while wandering the cobblestone streets, having the most amazing foot massage of my life in a perfectly air-conditioned room , or climbing to the top of Phi Phi Don to see the panoramic view of this paradise island… these are the memories from Thailand that I will carry with me when I eventually move on. And although I know that traveling alone is making me stronger, I am grateful that there was a witness to a piece of this journey, and that for a while, I had someone to share the memories with. Thank you Megan, for watching my bags while I used the toilet, for thoroughly applying sunscreen to those hard to reach areas, and for sharing a piece of this incredible adventure with me. You are truly a great friend and a good sport, given that I kicked your ass about a hundred times in hand and foot :)!

Tonight I catch the overnight train to Chiang Mai where I plan to take a cooking class, take daytrips to tribal villages and visit an elephant sanctuary. Should be blissful!

7 comments:

  1. i am happy to take the blame for the dead airspace, but if memory serves, you only beat me 11/12 x's before i conveniently 'lost' the cards while camping ;) btw, that's ~42/45 hands to those of you not in the hand + foot club...BRUTAL!!!
    while it was sad to part, i am pretty sure we were both smiling through the sadness to be getting the hell outta bangkok ;)
    glad you've reacclimated, met some folks & had time to blog...enjoy the rest of your trip - i wish i could stay on & watch your things while you go pee!
    can't wait to hear the rest & home will be here waiting for you!
    carry on & have fun!
    m.
    p.s. it was an AMAZING vacation & i feel SO lucky to have been a player & don't forget...TONIGHT'S GONNA BE A GOOD NIGHT!!!
    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miranda
    It was worth the wait, felt the emotion and intensity. I am proud you are my daughter. The will you have to accomplish the things you do… and the inner strength you gain by doing them.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed you, so glad you're back to the blog. We forgive Megan, sounds like the 2 of you had a blast. Looking forward to your next story already! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a mini-reminder that you are not alone during your travels. We are all there with you in spirit. While we may not be able to watch your bags while you pee or help with sunscreen application, we can via a quick post to Facebook help you decide on a restaurant or which street direction to take.

    Keep enjoying it.

    Deidra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back to posting -- have missed seeing the world through your gift with words. As for coming home, the door's locked but your key still works and absolutely nothing at this end has changed, including me, Todd, Jerry, Annie, Bear, and your Camry (actually, it's cleaner now'cause of last week's rain). We'll all be here waiting with open arms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. It helps to know people are following along from back home. I'm in Chiang Mai now, and after I do everything I have planned in the next few days, I have a feeling the next post will be a great one, so stay tuned. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sawatdee Kah!

    Thinking of you and wishing I could have come along for part of your wild ride. But, we're all waiting for you at home - and I, for one, miss my "P" during the all-too-infrequent card games we've played since you've been gone.

    Can't wait to hear about Chaing Mai.

    Safe travels. xox

    ReplyDelete